Ensuring that all children attending Durham Gilesgate Primary School receive provision that maximises their enjoyment and achievement is central to all we offer. As a result, consultation with families is key to securing success in this area.
We aim to involve and consult children about their needs and the support that we offer. This is done in an age and developmentally appropriate manner. It will range from children drawing pictures of what they like or dislike, through teachers or teaching assistants being advocates for the child to the child attending a review meeting where they participate in full.
We use the following strategies:
- Have regular meetings and discussions with parents about what we have planned for their child and how to link this with interests and passions demonstrated at home
- Make close observations during school to identify the types of activities and experiences that most engage each child so these can be developed further and be used inform future planning
- Involve SEND children with planning their own activities and encouraging them to share what they would like to learn and participate with
- Extend any resources that they show a preference for
- Most importantly, ensure the children with SEND are happy, motivated and make expected levels of progress throughout their time in school.
If you would like to discuss your SEND requirements in detail please contact the school to arrange an appointment.